Happily Ever Natural’s Natural Hair Glossary
- 2nd Day Hair
- This is defined as Natural hair that still looks good on the second day 🙂
- 3a 3b 3c- Hair Typing system
- Classification numbers for naturally loose curly hair.
4a 4b 4c- Hair Typing system
- Classification numbers for naturally tight kinky curly hair.
- A method, from the book [Curly Girl] by Lorainne Massey, to help define curls by scrunching your hair in the formation of an accordion.
- ACV- Apple Cider Vinegar
- The acidity is close to that of natural hair, so it is used as a final rinse after shampooing and before conditioning, to promote healthy hair by tightening and sealing the cuticle.
- APL- Arm Pit Length
- Argan Oil
- Oil rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids produced from the kernels of the argan tree grown organically in Morocco. Can be used as a fast absorbing daily moisturizer or to heal and condition cuticles and split ends. Also known as Moroccan Oil.
- A method to help reduce breakage, split ends, and dryness. After moisturizing your hair and sealing it at night, put a plastic cap or shower cap on overnight to help your hair retain the moisture it needs for maximum growth retention.
- Bantu Knot
- Hairstyle created when the hair is sectioned off in diamond, triangle or square shapes and twisted into knots. Also known as Zulu knots.
- Bantu Knot Out
- Hairstyle created by sectioning the hair into Bantu Knots on damp wet hair and then after it dries, the knots are taking out to achieve defined curly hair.
- BC- Big Chop
- Cutting relaxed or chemically treated hair completely off to leave only natural textured hair.
- BNC- Braid n Curl
- This Hairstyle is achieved by plaiting or braiding damp or moist hair and curling the ends with rollers or flexi rods. . Then take out the rods and braids to reveal deep wavy and curly hair.
Hairstyle achieved by braiding damp or moist hair in cornrows or single braids and after it drys the hair is unraveled to reveal a more defined curly hair.
- BSL- Bra Strap Length
- BSS – Beauty Supply Store
- CG -Curly Girl
- A method which was designed to achieve your best natural curls based on the book [Curly Girl] written by Lorraine Massey.
- A method of washing your hair with conditioner only. This type of washing avoids harsh results from frequent washing with shampoos that contain detergents like sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, and helps to keep hair soft and manageable.
- Cones (Silicones)
- Ingredients in some hair care products that are not water-soluble and has to be washed out well unless it will cause a heavy build-up on your hair.
- Creamy crack– what we want to AVOID!!
- Term used to describe relaxers!!!
- A natural girls best friend! A detangling brush.
Known as the Process in which you use a Detangler to soften and smooth the hair for manageability.
- DIY – Do It Yourself
- DT -Deep Treatment
- Also known as DC (Deep Conditioning). A treatment to help add moisture back into the hair, by leaving a moisturizing conditioner with a penetrating heat source on your hair for an extended period of time.
- EVCO- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- A natural conditioner that promotes hair growth, strong healthy hair, prevents dandruff, and makes the hair shiny and soft.
- EVOO -Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A natural sealant used to seal and lock in the moisture from your moisturizer, while smoothing the hair cuticle and adding shine. Some use this oil for a Pre-Shampoo Treatment (Pre-Poo).
- Flat Twist
- A two strand twist braiding technique similar to cornrows, by twisting the hair flat to the head
- Finger combing your hair to obtain maximum fullness and volume for your curly hair
- FSG -Flax Seed Gel
- Homemade recipe for a styling gel made with flax-seed that doesn’t weigh your hair down, dry it out, or create flakiness.
- A natural colorant or hair dye, and strengthener.
- HG -Holy Grail
- products that you have tried and works perfect for your hair.
- HIH – Hand in Hair ( A syndrome where you can’t keep your hands out of your hair!!)
- JBCO – Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Castor oil that has been manufactured on Jamaica used to strengthen, thicken, increase hair growth.
- KCCC- Kinky Curly Curling Custard
- A styling agent made with natural ingredients used to elongate and define naturally curly hair.
- MBL – Mid Back Length
- A regimen where you do not use shampoo to cleanse your hair .
- A way of preparing your hair and sleeping to preserve your curls to achieve 2nd Day Hair. This technique is achieved by placing your hair in a high loose ponytail on top of the head and sleeping on a satin pillowcase.
- PJ – Product Junky
- This is an expression used for a person who buys any and all hair care products they can find to try the next best thing on the market.
- Coating the hair, for about 30 minutes or more, with a mixture of natural oils or a deep conditioner before you shampoo.
- Protective Hairstyle
- Any hairstyle that tucks the ends of your hair away from being exposed to damaging agents such as sun, heat, and constant manipulation. Protective hairstyles helps hair grow healthier, longer hair and reduce split ends and damage. Some examples are Buns, Braids, Sew-in Weaves and wigs.
- Your day-to-day or weekly hair care and styling guide.
- To seal your ends. It means that you apply the product to the ends of the hair to keep them moisturized and limit breakage. Slip
- Describes how slippery a product is and how effective it will coat the hair for detangling. Usually in reference to a conditioner or a detangler product.
- SLS -Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- A high volume synthetic chemical, that is drying to the hair, used in many shampoos.
- TnC – Twist n Curl– Made famous by CurlyNikki
- Hairstyle achieved by two strand twisting damp or moist hair and curling the ends with rollers or flexi rods. Then take the hair down after drying
- The process of growing your hair out instead of doing the BC. Gradually cutting your relaxed hair off until you are fully natural.
TWA – Teeny Weeny Afro
- Twist Out
- This is A hairstyle achieved by two strand twisting the hair (usually while damp or wet then air drying or use a hair dryer) and then unraveling the twist to reveal a crinkly wavy hair texture.
- Virgin Hair
- Hair that is natural from the roots and have not been chemically processed or altered.
- WNG – Wash and Go
- Also abbreviated as WnG or W&G. Method of co-washing the hair (or shampooing the hair), then adding a styling gel or cream and then go.